Microsoft Outlook 365 is a server-based platform, all of the information is stored on the server, if the user operates from Online mode, in the case of Offline mode like the Outlook application all the data is stored in the local computer hardware.
When you add an email account to Outlook, a copy of your information is stored on your computer. For POP and IMAP accounts, you might store your Outlook items in an Outlook Data File (.pst). These files help the user to open the stored files in offline mode.
In this article, you will go through all the related issues “Where are Outlook files Stored”.
Before diving in you will have a brief explanation of [PST/OST Files].
What is Outlook Data File (.pst)?
The personal Storage Table (pst) file consists of email messages and other items which are saved on your computer.
Once you add an email account it downloads all messages into your computer hardware memory. [.pst] files are usually designed for POP accounts (for instance: rediffmail.com).
[.pst file] are accessible there the files are saved on your computer.
What is an Offline Outlook Data File (.ost)?
IMAP accounts (Gmail), Microsoft 365 accounts, Exchange accounts, and Outlook.com accounts use an Offline Outlook Data File (.ost) file to save and store files, data, and information into your local computer drive.
It can help you excess from anywhere even if you are offline or don’t have an internet connection. You can create mail, and access all emails, calendars, contacts and tasks, and to-do lists. However, in case any outgoing or incoming activity would be executed until your internet connection is restored.
When the connection is restored, changes are automatically synchronized, and the folders and items on the server and on your computer are identical again.
Where Does Outlook Store Emails?
You can find stored files quickly following these steps:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Click on Info >> Account setting >> Manage Profile
- Click Data File from the account settings dialog box >> Click Open File Location.
- You will be forwarded to the specific location of your computer hardware where your files are stored.
Some of these files might be hidden, so you may need to turn on the option to show hidden files and folders before you can locate the files.
Where Does Outlook Store Signatures?
Outlook signature consists of Images, content, and sometimes links, Outlook actually compresses the images included in your email signature and saves them separately in a folder in this location.
Outlook Signature is usually saved in Outlook itself which is later on reused in every email message you create, reply to, or forward.
You can find your Outlook signatures saved in a folder, which can be imported to another computer Here is the path you can get your saved Signature.
Copy the path using (Ctrl + C) and paste using (Ctrl + V) in the address bar of any folder:
Note: Replace Your username with your computer username.
Outlook File Locations:
Some of the other important features also grab the locations in your system:
- Nicknames for AutoComplete (.dat):
- Customized print settings (OutlPrnt):
- Macros and VBA programs (VbaProject.otm):
- Navigation bar customizations (.xml):
- Send/Receive group settings (.srs):
- Stationery (.htm):
- Templates (.oft):
- Dictionary (.dic):
- Installed Add-ins (extend.dat):
- Safe and Blocked Senders lists. Stored as a hidden message.
Can be exported from Tools > Options > Junk E-mail. Export each list separately.
Finding locations for Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2019, and even Office 365 follow the similar steps above.
- How to save a contact list in Outlook? [Received by Mail]
- How To Delete Outlook Cache?
- How to change language on Outlook Email?
- What is RSS Feed in Outlook?
- We couldn’t create the Outlook data file [How to Fix it! Complete guide]
- How To Insert Table in Outlook? [Create/Edit/Delete]
- How to Create a Recurring Task in Outlook? + [Regenerated Task]