How do I configure Outlook 2010 (for Office 365) to synchronize my Gmail account?
Most email clients today come preloaded with a variety of features such as calendars, contacts, tasks, notes, etc.
But what about synchronizing emails between two or more accounts? Can you configure outlook to automatically synchronize with other accounts? How does it work?
If you want to set up Outlook to sync with your Google calendar or another Microsoft service, then read on for step-by-step instructions.
Gmail holds the topmost position among users as email providers, most are turning Outlook 2010 and Gmail (or other Outlook versions) together to get better outcomes but frankly speaking, syncing Gmail with Outlook 2010 is not easy until you don’t know the steps.
I personally try to set up Gmail in outlook 2010, it’s multiple steps processes.
In this article, you will learn step by step process of “Outlook 2010 Configuration for Gmail IMAP“
How to configure Gmail in Outlook 2010 step by step?
Office 365 is the latest version, it doesn’t need any adjustments, simply enter your credential and everything is set, as far as Outlook 2010 is concerned, it required three steps method, which you will learn to set up Microsoft Outlook 2010 for the first time.
Before stepping forward you must Enable IMAP in Gmail to allow Gmail to stop resisting while adding an account in Outlook 2010.
Open the Gmail account for which you like to add an account in Outlook and go to setting (gear icon) from the right top corner of the screen.
Click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, Click the radio button of “Enable IMAP“. Click Save Changes.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2010 >> Click File Tab from the left-hand corner.
- Click on Account Settings >> Account setting
- Account setting dialog box appears >> Click on New
- Auto account setup dialog box required inputs, (like Email Address, Name & Password twice). Fill up the details and click Next.
- Outlook will configure the email server settings, it will take a few minutes, and if the configuration goes correct, you will get confirmation from outlook.
Configure Manually Settings
In most cases, setup is unable to configure Gmail in outlook 2010, the above instructions don’t work, then we’ll need to manually configure the settings.
- Once again open the “Add new account” dialog box and select “manually configure server setting or additional server type“. Click Next
- From the next dialog box, select the first option “Internet Email“, and click Next
- Now it’s time to feed the inputs manually in our settings like the following.
- Your Name
- E-Mail Address
- Account Type: – Select IMAP from the list and ignore POP.
- Incoming mail server: Enter “imap.gmail.com” in lower case
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): Enter “smtp.gmail.com” in lower case
- Username: Automatic Appears
- Password: Enter your email account password.
Note: If you live outside of the US you might need to use imap.googlemail.com and smtp.googlemail.com
- Click on the more setting button.
- Internet E-mail Settings dialog box pops up, select the Outgoing Server tab, and check the box “My outgoing server (SMTP) that requires authentication”.
- Next Click Advance Tab, and you must make some server port adjustments manually.
- Incoming server: 993
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server encrypted connection TLS
- Outgoing server: 587
- Finally, Click on the test account setting.
Outlook clear and test the credentials you entered, once it is completed you will get both the checkmark completed and you are ready to mount, in case something is wrong (majorly password), the system asks you to correct it.
In many cases everything works, but:
Sometimes, you still get the wrong conditional repeatedly, even if you have crossed checked everything is OK. Here comes Stage three.
Stage three setting is especially important, in most cases, users are unable to configure Gmail in outlook 2010, here comes the steps:
- Enter Less secure app access in the google search, it will open certain results, click the first option, or copy-paste the “URL:https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps” into the address bar.
- You are forwarded to the Less secure app access page, make sure you are login to the same Gmail account you like to add in Outlook 2010.
- Slide to turn on “Allow less secure app“.
- Once you turn ON, click test account settings from Outlook to retest the setting, and you will both the task complete and secure.
- You’ll get a final congratulations message you can close. You can enjoy the services in Outlook 2010 now.
Most of the users feel frustrated while adding an account in Outlook 2010 due to errors and ignore Outlook every time, The above three-step process surely adds your Google Email Account into Outlook 2010.