Receiving regular updates of recent emails in your inbox is crucial in Microsoft Outlook.
While Outlook has a built-in feature that refreshes the inbox at specified intervals, there may be times when you need an immediate refresh.
Fortunately, there is a keyboard shortcut available for this purpose. By using this shortcut, your Outlook application will refresh itself, ensuring that you receive the latest emails and updates.
In this article, we will introduce you to this quick keyboard shortcut that refreshes Outlook.
The Functionality of F9 in Microsoft Outlook
When you press F9, Outlook initiates a send/receive action, updating your inbox and outbox by transmitting any pending messages and retrieving new incoming emails.
This keeps your email communication up-to-date with just one press.
However, there’s a catch. If your keyboard comes with an FN (Function) key, F9 doesn’t work alone.
In such cases, you need to press the FN key simultaneously with F9 to activate the send/receive command.
This dual-key requirement is common in laptops and compact keyboards where function keys serve multiple purposes.
Does F9 Work in Outlook Web or New Outlook?
The F9 key is specific to the desktop version of Microsoft Outlook. Its functionality as a shortcut for send/receive does not extend to Outlook Web or the New Outlook interface.
These web-based platforms often rely on different sets of commands and do not typically respond to traditional function keys like F9.
Similarly, whether you are using Outlook.com or the new Outlook, pressing Control + F5 will refresh both the webpage and the new Outlook interface effectively.
Control + F5
The Significance of F9 in Enhancing Email Productivity
The F9 key is more than just a shortcut; it’s a productivity enhancer. Its importance lies in:
- Instantly updating your mailbox, ensuring you have the latest emails at your fingertips.
- Saving time by eliminating the need to click through menus for a send/receive action.
- Streamlining your email workflow, making your Outlook experience smoother and more efficient.
Manual Method for Send/Receive
For those who prefer not to use the F9 key or don’t have this functionality, updating your mailbox is still straightforward:
- Navigate to the ‘Send/Receive’ tab in Outlook.
- Click on the ‘Send/Receive All Folders’ button. This will perform the same action as pressing F9, updating both your inbox and outbox.
- How To Refresh Outlook? [2010, 2013, 2017, 2019, 365]
- What Does Ctrl + A [Keyboard Shortcut] Do in Outlook?
- What Does “Ctrl + H” Do in Outlook?
- What does “Ctrl + Shift + K” do in Outlook?
- What Does Ctrl + G (Keyboard Shortcut) do in Outlook?
- What Does Ctrl + Shift + i do in Microsoft Outlook?
- Refresh Outlook Shortcut