Last Updated on October 7, 2023 by Amit Bansal
Want to insert the degree symbol in Outlook?
If you don’t know how to do this already, you may scratch your head and look for options.
Unfortunately, it’s not as straightforward as you want it to be.
There is no key on the keyboard to do this, or any direct option to do this using a click of a button.
You want to show off your academic achievements at work but don’t know how to format or insert a degree symbol (°) into an email.
Don’t worry! There are plenty of ways to insert or type a degree symbol in Outlook.
Degree Symbol (°)
The degree symbol is used to represent degrees of arc (e.g., in geographic coordinate systems), hours (in the medical field), degrees of temperature, or alcohol proof. The symbol consists of a small superscript circle.
Inserting the Degree Symbol in Microsoft Outlook?
Talking about symbols, there are multiple symbols that require some special act to insert into Office Document, whether you are working in Microsoft Word or Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, or Outlook.
So, let’s dive in and understand How to get a Degree Symbol in Outlook while working on email, including [Keyboard Shortcut]
Using Keyboard Shortcut in Outlook
A keyboard shortcut is one of the smartest approaches to typing degree symbols in Outlook mail.
Below are a few methods to type the degree symbol in Outlook.
Method – 1
- Select the location usually just after numeric for instance 13 where you want to insert the degree symbol.
- Use the keyboard shortcut ALT + 0176 (you need to hold the ALT key and then press 0176 from the numeric keypad of your keyboard).
- Use the keyboard shortcut ALT + 248 (you need to hold the ALT key and then press 248 from the numeric keypad of your keyboard).
ALT + 0 + 1 + 7 + 6 or ALT + 2 + 4 + 8
- For Mac users, the Keyboard Shortcut is completely different i.e. Option + Shift + 8
- The keyboard Shortcut for Inserting the Degree Symbol in Outlook web is similar to the Outlook application that is ALT + 0176.
Method – 2
- Select the Outlook screen position where you need to insert the degree symbol.
- use the key combination of Ctrl+Shift+@ and then press the space bar
Ctrl+Shift+@ Press Space Bar
Method – 3
- Insert the Degree symbol using Unicode, under this method you need to insert the code just after the numeric figure (for instance 45).
- Type 00B0 and then press Alt+X, your code is replaced with the degree symbol
Type 00B0 Press Alt+X
Method – 4
- First place your cursor where you need to insert the degree symbol.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + 2 and Spacebar
Ctrl + Shift + 2 and Spacebar
Copy and Paste the Degree Symbol in Outlook
The above Keyboard shortcut inserted the degree symbol in Outlook in case you need to insert the symbol at any other location you first need to copy it from a degree symbol already available in Outlook using Ctrl + C, or you can copy it from any web page on the internet, and paste it where you required using Ctrl + V.
Insert Degree Symbol Using Dialog Box
The ‘Symbol’ dialog box in Outlook is an old traditional method to insert symbols into Outlook, not only a degree but you can find numerous symbols over here.
Step 1: Open New Mail (Keyboard shortcut CTRL N)
Step 2: Click Insert Tab
Step 3: Click Symbols >> More Symbols, from the Symbols section
Step 4: The symbol dialog box appears, select the font ‘Verdana‘ and Select Subset ‘Latin-1 Supplement‘, scroll down a little bit, and you will get the degree symbol.
Step 5: Select and click Insert
This will insert the degree symbol in Outlook. You can use the symbol for any other location using Copy (Ctrl + C) and Paste (Ctrl + V).
Once you use Degree Symbol in Outlook, you’ll find it in the recently used symbol list. Click Insert >> Symbol
Using Autocorrect in Outlook
Autocorrect is a method you can Customize your own shortcut code and assign that code to insert the Degree symbol in Outlook.
- Click File Tab.
- Hit Options.
- Click Mail >> Click the Editor option from the right navigation options.
- Click Proofing from the left navigation section >> AutoCorrect Options.
An autocorrect dialog box appears, type your own customized code [for instance DEGINS] to replace the section.
I created this code as a short form of Degree Insert (DEGINS), You can create your own code.
With: º (you can get the degree symbol by using the shortcut ALT 0176, or copy-paste it from the internet).
- Click Add and Degree Symbol with Code added in List.
Click OK to close.
From now onwards, whenever you type the text DEGINS and Press Enter, it will automatically get converted into the degree symbol.
Type DEGINS and Press Enter
Important Facts you must know while using the Autocorrect method:
- In case you enter the code in lowercase, it won’t work, so if you enter ‘desins’, it will not get converted into the degree symbol. You need to enter DEGINS.
- If there is any text/number before DEGINS, it will not be converted to the degree symbol either. For example, 13DEGINS will not get converted, Outlook treats this as a complete word. However, 13 DEGINS will get converted to 13 °
- While creating Code you can use a mixture of numeric, alphabets, and special characters also.
Apart from typing the degree symbol in any Microsoft platform (Word, Excel, or PowerPoint), you can also use the keyboard shortcut key to insert the degree symbol with the unit.
|What is insert
Summarised Keyboard Shortcut
|What it Does?
|Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Degree Symbol in Outlook Application
|ALT+ 0176 or ALT+248
|Shortcut Key to Insert Degree Symbol in Outlook
|Ctrl+Shift+@ Press Space Bar
|Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Degree Symbol in Outlook Mac
|Option + Shift + 8
|Keyboard Shortcut to Insert Degree Symbol in Outlook Web
|ALT + 0176 or ALT+248
|Shortcut Key to Insert Degree Symbol in Outlook
|Type 00B0 Press Alt+X
|Type Degree Symbol in Outlook Application
|Press Ctrl + Shift + 2 and Spacebar
|Insert °C in Outlook Application/Web
|Insert ℉ in Outlook Application/Web
Before diving into these methods for inserting a Degree Symbol in Outlook, I’m confident that many of you, like me, have been typing out the word ‘Degree‘ instead. Finding the most efficient way to insert the actual symbol can save you significant time.
Related Articles May Help You