Sorting email in outlook is arranging the list according to the requirement, this function really helpful to the user in many ways.
Discloser: I use to fill out my income tax return every year and for that, I required my bank account statement which was received at my email address.
While finding and taking print out is a really difficult task. I found to sort the emails from the list in a particular folder, this method helps me out.
This article is all about the same topic how is sorting email helpful for the user?
Sort function consists of multiple options in outlook, which results in clean data in just a few clicks.
How To Organize Outlook Emails Using Sort?
Every folder by default is arranged by date, here you will learn how to sort out specific requirements from the list.
- Step 1 – Open Outlook >> Select specific folder
- Step 2 – Click View Tab – Here are multiple options
The result of Every option is different according to the choice.
- Date – By Default, the arrangement is in this format.
- From – Click and you will get the block of mails according to alphabetical order [starting with the numeric email address]. Short cut – Click From just above the email address, if you get an upward arrow view list in ascending order and if you get a downward arrow view list in descending order.
3. Size – MY FAVORITE every email service provider restricts quota for the mails which include (inbox, send, outbox, draft, archive, and delete).
For maintaining the quota, it is required for the user to delete some unwanted email from the list which holds a bigger size attachment.
Sometimes user’s inbox has duplicate emails in the list with the same size attachment. So, click Size and get the emails in ascending order. It can be reversed by clicking again with a downward arrow.
Advanced Sorting Feature
In this part, you can learn the method of sorting emails by the sender in a few steps.
- Open Outlook >> Click View Tab >> Click View Setting
- Advanced view setting appears >> Click Sort
- The next step is the game changer (selection of the right tunnel walks you through the finish line), here you can get the sorting criteria selection to filter and sort your emails in the folder.
- In the list below you can check the sorting options available at this stage.
- There are multiple combinations of sorting options available according to the requirement of the user, Outlook provides four sorting options with the same options. See the snapshot below ~
In the above instance email was sorted by # FROM then # SUBJECT then # ATTACHMENT then # IMPORTANCE and finally select field from (which also consists of multiple options).
- Finally, Click OK, and you will get the sorted list according to the specified criteria on the priority basis which was opted by (Ascending /Descending order) you.
The result brings the real beauty of MS Outlook.
How to automatically sort emails into folders in Outlook?
Despite the above, the advanced Sort feature in outlook (Outlook Rules) is a one-time process with a professional touch.
There are two methods using the rule function to sort an outlook-specific bunch of emails.
- Single email address – for instance (email@example.com)
- Similar email domain address – for instance (………….@hdfcbank.net)
How do make emails go to a specific folder in Outlook? [Step by Step Guide]
To create the rule for a single email address, open your folder (for instance inbox).
- Select your specific email >> click right >> select rule
Create Rule window appears. Click the checkbox next to the name of the person/sender. It’s a sign to outlook to select all emails received from the selected email address.
Never select the subject to contain a checkbox because the subject of the sender might be different every time (like a bank statement for the month …..) Next, click the “Move the Item to Folder:” checkbox.
Select the folder you want to move the emails to or click “New” to create a new folder and then click “OK.”
Finally, click OK to run the rule function.
A confirmation dialogue box appears. Click the “Run this rule now on messages already in the current folder” checkbox, and then finally click OK.
Important: This function doesn’t delete the email from your inbox, it creates a copy in the folder, which in future must be deleted, and there would be no loss of any message.
How to Sort Email with a similar email domain Address? [Step by Step Guide]
Creating the rule from scratch for the specific domain email address is quite similar to the above, easy to operate, and a single-time operation.
Here is the tutorial~
- Open Microsoft Outlook >> Click Home >> Rules >> Click Manage Rules & Alerts
- Press the new rule button from the rules and alerts popup.
- This opens the “Rules Wizard” window, select ‘Apply Rule on Messages I Receive’ & click next
Apply the rule on the message I receive you are going to set the conditions to apply to every email that comes from the domain @hdfcbank.net.
- Select the “With Specific Words in the Sender’s Address” checkbox, and then, in the text box at the bottom, click “Specific words.”, search text pop-up appears type @hdfcbank.net, and click ADD and OK.
You can also add multiple domain addresses in a single rule just type and click add.
- The next step is to select “move the email to the specific folder”, If that’s what you want, click “Specific”, and the system directs you to select the folder, after selecting click OK and Next.
- Next is the exemption portion, which you can select according to your requirement if no such exemption is applicable leave this step blank and then click Next.
- Finally, the Finish rule setup wizard required some information like “Name of the Rule”, rules options, and final review and click finish.
You can check your rule in the ‘Rules and Alerts window. Click ‘Apply’ to process.
Both ways are fruitful for the user according to their requirement.