In an earlier article on how to set up an Outlook autoresponder, you learn to auto-reply in case (out of office) using the rule function.
It only works when your system is connected online, in case you are on vacation, rule execution in offline mode is not possible. Users having a Microsoft Exchange Account check out a separate option for the automatic reply.
This article gives you a more in-depth description of how to set up an Outlook autoresponder that was suggested in our past article.
Automatic Replies for Microsoft Exchange Accounts
These steps only work for users with a Microsoft Exchange account. If you don’t see the words, ‘Automatic replies’ in the information section, you can’t set up an out-of-office autoreply directly on the server.
There is the step-by-step method:
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Click the File tab from the upper left corner of the screen.
- Hit Info >> Select the email address having a Microsoft Exchange server from the drop-down list.
- Then Click the Automatic Replies option.
- Outlook allows you to create custom replies to be automatically sent to anyone who sends you an email and let them know of your absence in the office.
- Select the option to Send an Automatic reply first.
- Select the check box of the time range, select the period you need auto-reply enabled, and Set up Start date/Time and end date/time.
- Compose the message which clearly indicates your unavailability and another person to reach (refer to image above).
- Simply Hit Ok, the dialog box closes automatically, and you can check the options.
If you are unable to attach a signature in the automatic reply message body, you need to copy and paste your designed signature manually.
All is set from now onwards you receive an email message from anybody (even if you are not online), will get an automatic reply, and you have created a customized message, which will be delivered to your sender.
If you want your reply to be only sent to those who are in your organization, click on the Inside My Organization tab. Otherwise, click on the other tab that says Outside My Organization.
This process is active until the end date and time hit, in case you need to disable this feature, simply Click File Tab >> Info >> choose your Microsoft exchange account >> turn off the automatic replies.
Outlook rules under Automatic Replies
The above example is applicable to all incoming emails, with no exceptions excepted. Outlook also allows you to specify rules, for instance: you can create a rule filter and judge the criteria of incoming emails and execute the rules, and intimate Outlook to reply to specific senders only.
Let’s Dive into How it works:
- Click on the Rules button from the bottom left-hand corner of the Reply automatic dialog box and click Add Rules.
- When a message arrives that meets the following conditions, enter the inputs according to the conditions you are required to meet.
- Advance features are also available if you want to specify more conditions and choose OK.
- Under Perform these actions, multiple options are available, select the check box that you want to apply. Choose OK until all dialog box closes and apply the rule.
How to set up automatic reply in Outlook Web App
For most of you using Outlook Web Application, setting up Out of Office message is a straightforward process to execute. Any change made in the Outlook application is automatically reflected in Outlook Web Application (OWA). Let’s understand the step-by-step process.
- Open Outlook.com >> Click on Setting (Gear Icon) from the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select View all Outlook setting >> Click Mail >> Select Automatic replies.
- Automatic Reply section – Turn on the toggle and select the check box in case you like to specify the time frame of Starting Date/Time and End Date/Time then enter the inputs.
- In case you need to stop manually, leave the check box unchecked.
- Selection of the check box required additional information, which you can allow or consider using checkboxes [refer to image].
- Draft the message you want to send while automatic replies are enabled, Hit the Save button to close the window.
From Now onwards all your senders will get Out of Office messages and let every sender know of your unavailability.
Turn off the toggle (Automatic reply on) if disable the feature. This feature is only available in the Microsoft Outlook exchange account. Outlook does not attach your signature when it sends automatic replies. If you have a signature, you might want to paste it below your message.
Question: How to Copy and Paste Automatic Replies in Outlook?
Answer: If you wish to send the same message to both internal and external recipients, you can copy and paste it from one tab to the other. However, you will need to use keyboard shortcuts (CTRL key+C to copy and CTRL key+V to paste) to do so, as right-clicking will not bring up those options here.