Recently, I was involved in preparing the tender for my organization during the lockdown period, I invested nine days of hard work, after finalization, all the files must be uploaded in the tender portal, which is not my scope, I have to mail all the preparing to my colleague.
The title of this article comes in my way, How To Send Large Files Through Outlook? & How to Increase Attachment Size in Outlook?
What happens next is a long story we will discuss later.
What is the attachment size limit for outlook?
Outlook’s email client sets a maximum limit of 20 MBs for every email attachment including email content. If you try to attach beyond the limit, outlook through you out and flashes the message “The file you’re attaching is bigger than the server allows. Try putting the file in a shared location and sending a link instead“.
How to send large files through Outlook?
There are several email service providers in the globe, with their maximum limit of 20 MBs to 25MBs per message, Microsoft outlook freezes the limit of 20 MBs for the user, in that scenario, it is very transparent when your mail server allows messages up to 25 MB and your attachment is slightly over the default 20 MB limit, you have the room to adjust Outlook max attachment size up to 25 MB.
How to Increase Attachment Size Limit?
- Press Window+R
- Type “Regedit” in Run dialog box >> Hit Ok
- Technically you entered the nerve of your system and you are about to hack some minor settings.
- Copy and Paste – [Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences] in the address bar of the registry editor.
I am using Outlook 2019
- Find MaximumAttachmentSize value File >> double click it.
Sometimes MaximumAttachmentSize is not present in the folder Follow these steps and add the folder:
- Go to Edit of the registry editor.
- Click New >> DWORD Value >> File added [name the file MaximumAttachmentSize], and Hit Enter.
- Double click MaximumAttachmentSize value File.
The Value data allow you to attach the file size, if you leave it blank or zero you effectively disable the email attachment limit in your Outlook.
The default size of Microsoft outlook in the absence of MaximumAttachmentSize is 20 MB or 20480 KB.
After MaximumAttachmentSize you have to enter your desired attachment size limit in KB.
For instance: If you like to set the size limit to 25 MB, you have to enter the value 25600 and select the decimal in the dialog box.
Finally Hit OK and Close Registry Editor.
Technically you have revised the attachment limit with 5 MB more, no you can attach the file size by 25 MB.
- What is the maximum size of an email attachment in Hotmail – 10MB
- What is the maximum size of an email attachment in Gmail – 25 MB
- What is the maximum size of an email attachment in mail.com – 50 MB
- What is the maximum size of an email attachment in yahoo – 25 MB
Some of the email service providers bring cloud service to their users which allows you to attach file size more than their limit and automatically upload your file in the cloud.
If you are using Outlook.com – It allows you to easily upload the files to the cloud and send the link to the file through email, that’s the beauty of Outlook.
If your recipient or your mail server doesn’t support the size of the email you are trying to send, your email won’t be sent.
Use One Drive to send large files
Apart from the above method, you can use Cloud Storage free services (Google Drive/One Drive) to Send Large Files through Outlook.
Google Drive/One Drive is one of the trusted and reliable sources to transfer large files using a link simply.
Here are the steps to make that happen:
- Log in to your OneDrive account using your Outlook credentials.
- Click on Files from the upload area.
- Select the file uploaded which was visible on the screen and click the share icon or Right-click on the file that you would like to share and click Share.
- At this point, you have two options- you can either enter the email addresses of all the people that you want to share the file with, or you can generate a link that you can embed in the email message body.
- It is recommended to copy the link, which you can embed in the email message, then you should click on the Copy Link icon.
- Go back to your Outlook New mail window, and simply hit Ctrl + V (shortcut key) to paste the copied link.
Resize large image when I send this message
In case you attached images in any form in a new mail message, there is an option to reduce the size, you can easily resize them in Outlook using the Resize Image feature.
- Once you attach the image file in Outlook.
- Click the File tab from the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Resize large images when I send this message.
This feature only works when you attach the image in outlook embedding image won’t be resized.
Compress Attachments Size
Using WinZip, WinRAR free tolls help users to compress and reduce file size within the predefined limitation that is 20 MB by default.
This method compresses the file so smartly that you won’t notice the major difference between the original and compress file.
Right Click on the file and click “Add to archive”, another file is created with the same name and If you now check the properties of the compressed file you will observe the size difference.
Hacking regedit does not increase the limit set by your service provider, In the case of the service provider set the attachment size of 10MB and you tried to send the mail which is beyond the size, you’ll still get sending errors about the message being too big.
Other bonus tips are easy to use and results are satisfactory. Breaking up a file and sending multiple emails is another vintage option rarely used currently.
- How to send auto-reply in Outlook?
- Microsoft Outlook do not archive items in this folder [Step by Step Guide]
- How do I save Multiple Outlook Emails to Hard Drive? [Step by Step Guide]
- How to Edit Signature in Microsoft outlook?
- Why Is My Outlook Not Showing Attachments?
- How To Insert Emoji in Outlook Mail?