When you recall an email, it is removed from the inbox, rather than deleting it. This allows you to retrieve it again, if needed, without having to read through the deleted items folder.
Do you recall an email you received, but can’t find it? Did you ever receive an email that you shouldn’t have received? Well, you can recall an email directly from Outlook.
Recall email in outlook (a built-in feature) designed to bounce back the email sends accidentally, (in simple terms), If the email sends to the wrong guy, the attachment is not correct, or some silly mistake.
Outlook allows you to retract or unsend emails depending on certain conditions.
Recall Email Outlook Rules
Anything delivered will not be reversed, but there are a few key requirements to recall the message.
- It is mandatory that you and your recipient both required an Exchange server email account. For instance, Microsoft 365 account or exchange your recipient must be floating in the same boat, otherwise, your attempt brings you a failure.
- Use Outlook as the email client If the recipient is offline the pull-up process fails.
- The email must not be opened and read by the recipient.
- The message was not touched by any process, such as a rule, spam filter, or add-in. In other words, the message will be delivered in Inbox, if the mail is diverted in some folder powered by the rule the recall will nor executed.
- It only works in the Outlook Desktop version.
How to pull back an email in outlook
Outlook provides a built-in feature that recalls an email or replaces a message. Here is the step-by-step guide.
- Open Outlook >> Go to send
- Select your mail and double-click the message you want to recall.
- Go to the Message tab >> select the Actions tab >> click recall this message.
- Recall This Message pop-up dialog box appears. There are two options –
# Delete unread copies of this message
# Delete unread copies and replace them with a new message
Recall message in outlook confirmation or message recall failure, getting to update you must click the checkbox in the above snapshot.
- Click Ok
- If you opt for “delete unread copies and replace with a new mail” outlook allows you to edit the mail you already send and click the send button.
- Wait for some time you will get the confirmation whether Microsoft outlook takes back email or not.
The action of recalling attempt, Outlook may notify the recipient of this action.
Key Reasons Why Outlook Recall May Fail?
Sounds unfavorable, but it’s true!
In most attempts recalling a message in outlook fails there are times when Outlook Recall may provide a “Recall Success” message.
- If you try to attempt the delete and replace options, the message need not be required to be opened by the recipient if it’s opened the attempt to recall fails.
- If the recipient has not opened the original message and opens the recall message first, the original message is deleted. Outlook informs the recipient that you deleted the message from their mailbox.
- Outlook on a mobile device and attempt to recall a message, the process will likely fail.
Alternatives to Outlook Recall
Frankly, there is no reversal on email delivered, but there is an alternate path which is the Outlook Delay Delivery option, you can rule out your email, which gives you time, and enhance the gap between hitting the send button and delivery of the message.
Your message is saved in the outbox until the time being. It is a Delay Send feature.
In conclusion, Outlook has a feature that allows you to recall or unsend an email. It’s useful when your email is accidentally deleted, or an email is accidentally sent to the wrong person. With this method, you no longer have to panic and worry about those important emails.
- How to export contacts from iPhone to Outlook?
- What is error custom UI XML Outlook+ [How to get rid of it]?
- Why am I getting so much Junk mail in outlook?
- How to Export Email addresses from Outlook? – (with pictures)
- How to Import contacts to Outlook from Excel?
- How to get Outlook email alerts on Desktop?