Microsoft Outlook is such a platform designed to control and work like a conveyor belt, storeroom, and many more, the user easily manages the email inflow and break categories and shift the message to a specific folder.
If you really encountered hundreds of emails daily, try this, how well Outlook is designed for that feature.
Here in this article, another great feature is “Organize Emails With Colour Categories“, you may label emails, tasks, or others with color categories in Outlook, which help you identify them from tons of emails.
Let’s dive in ~
There are variations actions available in MS Outlook currently in 2019,
- How you categories your email with color.
- How to Separate them (there are multiple methods).
- Categories With A Search Folder
- Automatic impose color category on the arrival of the specific email messages.
- Keep color categories and transfer the mail in folder (using rule) function.
There are countless processes and methods for every user.
Before commencement, it is very important to know that “why categories missing in outlook“.
Many of the users are facing the problem of [color categories in outlook disappeared], the truth is it’s not disappeared, The IMAP protocol doesn’t support the color category and Flag properties on messages and assigned categories and flags are not synced back to the IMAP server. If you need to use categories, you need to use a POP3 account instead or move the messages to a local pst file. – source – slipstick
Add Color Catagory Email In Your Inbox
Getting multiple emails from different people, departments, you can easily pin out a specific email with color-coding, which in future easily traced. Follow the step by step guide.
- Open Outlook >> Click Home Tab
- Select your specific email (or you can also select multiple emails using Ctrl key in a keyboard with the mouse).
- Go to the category in the tag section, (there are few color options by default), you can select the color/s.
- Your email is marked with the color/s category.
How To Group Emails in Outlook by Specified Color Categories?
There are multiple ways to filter or separate specific color categories messages from your email inbox. You can easily identify color categories items at a glance, and group them together. Let’s begin with Search Folder.
Search folder allows the user to separate specific color categories emails and group them automatically with the single command to Outlook.
Walk me through the steps:
- Select folder tab under navigation pane >> Click to new search folder [for grouping email messages by color categories], there is another option that will walk you to the same location is Click on the search folder on the bottom of all folders of your email address refer snapshot.
- New Serch Folder dialog box popup, you required to select your category, there are multiple options, but in this scenario, you have to select Categorized Mail under Organizing Mail.
- The third step is to select the catagory by clicking choose and click OK.
- Name your category, and finally completed the process by clicking OK.
If you can’t find any method or process of execution concerning your requirement, Rule Function is that master key.
This part automatically Group Emails in Outlook by Specified Color Categories and shift club the email in the folder. Emails received with tons of conditions and color catagory must be with (one of those conditions or some random one) if there are similarities in your color categories and received categories, the rules function solves your problem.
For instance: You have decided to color categories your email inflow from your Boss or any member of your execution team, so how it works.
A tutorial is right here.
- Grab the home Tab >> Click to Rules >> Manage rules and alerts.
- Click New Rule >> Create New >> Apply Rule on messages I received.
- Select from people or people group >> Select email id of your boss and the group of execution team (which include multiple members email address).
- Next is assign it to category >> select your color category (you can rename it, add your color category, impose shortcut key) >> Click OK
- The next step is an exemption, which in the majority not required (in case, you can select the exemption, according to your need) >> Click Next.
- Name your rule to finish, (it is highly recommended to select the checkbox “Run this rule in now on messages already in Inbox”, it will allow Microsoft Outlook to consider previous mails also. If you require the act only from the day you begin the rule, no need for the checkbox that option. Although you can edit the rule if your requirement changes.
- Finally, click Finish.
How to Assigned Outlook Categories Shortcut Key?
Microsoft Outlook by default consists of few color categories (without name), users can create new, edit, delete, change the color, and impose shortcut keys for the category.
Follow step by step:
- Go to Outlook Home tab >> Click Categorize in the tag section >> Click All Categories from the drop-down list.
- Color Categories dialog box appears, and you should click the box for New along the right side to create a new category, you have to name it, give it a color, and select a shortcut key and click Ok.
- The next option is rename, select catagory you need to rename, click on rename, edit, and click OK, you get your required name.
- Finally, you have a shortcut key option, which you can easily assign by selecting the catagory and fix the shortcut key from drop-down options.
How to add color Categories to Outlook messages using Quick Click
Quick click function useful for those users more often set color categories to there messages. It helps to set up color and category along with shortcut keys.
In the above section, you learn to set up the shortcut key, for example (Ctrl + F..), Its time to use it, Quick click comes into play, you can simply select the email and hit (ctrl+F..) key to color the email.
You can also use multiple colors for a single message at a time.
How To Delete All Categories In Outlook?
Category feature is really great, but sometimes there are lots of items applied to the color category in your Outlook and you must restart the features, you must clear all the categories.
How To Clear All Categories?
- Open Outlook >> Select the specific folder >> Click Ctrl + A to select all the messages in the folder.
- Click the right button from your mouse >> select Categorize >> Clear All Categories.
- All your color categories removed by outlook with a single click.
How To Sort Email By Category?
By default Microsoft Outlook arrange emails as per the date of receiving. for shorting email messages by color category, click to the category of the email description. refer – Snapshot.
You can see the emails arranged as per color criteria groups than other than others.