Microsoft Outlook contact management system stores all your contacts inflow, you can create contact, import, and export contact, Luckily, we are not limited to this, we have even more features that we are unaware of. You can also combine multiple duplicate contacts into one with little creativity.
This article is all about Merge Contacts in Outlook, you will find how you can check your Outlook contacts for duplicates and merge.
Duplicate contacts in Outlook, Reasons Behind It!
There are tons of questions hovering over your head, Duplicate contacts in Outlook there’s nothing wrong with it, but it creates in your contact list due to the following reasons, the cure (deleting or merging) is also available, and this article is all about this.
- Drag and Drop: Mostly In Outlook, users can drag any message to the contacts icon in the navigation bar, just to create a contact of the email sender, multiple actions with a similar message cause duplicate. Create contacts manually accidentally end up with multiple contacts for the same person, minor inputs for the same contact are considered different due to misspelling but technically both are the same.
- Multiple Email Address: In the current digital world, having possession of numerous email addresses is normal, an additional contact for the same person will be created with all their email address, in case mail is received from a different address of the same person (official or personal), resulting in contact duplication.
- Synchronization: Every time you connect your device with a laptop or mobile set or social media websites like (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn) results in duplicate contacts.
- Import and Export: Exporting contacts from different areas and importing in Outlook produces duplicate contacts due to the same person being listed in distinct address books with different names.
- Corporate users encountered several address books on its Exchange servers which also results in duplicate contacts.
Outlook resists in case you try to create manual contact with the same credentials as multiple contacts of the same person.
No matter how you get all the duplicate contact in your system, the point is “How you can Delete/Remove merge Duplicate Contact in Outlook“. Here are the solutions, follow the step-by-step process.
How To Merge Duplicate Contacts in Outlook?
Creating contact numerous types and try to save resist by Outlook (that’s the beauty of Outlook), in case slightly difference in contact details technically cross all the hurdles and both the contact save in Outlook, [for instance: Amit Bansal, Amit Kumar Bansal, and Amit K Bansal], nothing prevents multiple contacts from being created in your Outlook.
Export contacts into CSV format
Here are a few steps to get rid of it:
- Go to Outlook contacts from the navigation bar in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Create a new Contacts folder by clicking “New Folder” from the list, and click the right mouse button on your current Contacts folder.
- ‘Create New Folder‘ Dialog box appears, Name the folder >> Hit OK
- New Folder is created to merge all the multiple contact folders into one, right-click the selected contacts and choose Move from the context menu or use shortcut [Ctrl+A to copy all the contacts from a specific contact folder and hit Ctrl + Shift + V] to move all contacts to the newly created folder.
- The Next step is to Export the contact to a .csv file, Click File Tab from the top left corner of the screen >> Click Open and Export from the left-hand side portion of the screen, now click import and export wizard.
- The Import and Export wizard opens up, it will walk you through the export process: you can check the major steps below.
- Export to file.
- Comma Separated Values.
- Select the folder “Merge Contact”, which you have created earlier.
- Browse and select the designation to save the (.csv) file.
- Click Finish to End.
Detailed step by step process – How to Export contacts from Outlook?
Import contacts from the CSV file
Once you are satisfied with all your R&D, here are the steps to import back your contacts data into Outlook contacts using Import and export wizard.
- Click the File tab from the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click Open and export >> Import and Export
- Select Import from another program or file, from the Import and Export Wizard dialog box.
- Select ‘Comma Separated Values and click Next.
- Click Browse to select your modified file.
- Select the option “Do not import duplicate items” and click Next.
- Select the Contacts folder, in which you like to import all your desired contact.
- Click Finish to complete the import process.
Detailed step by step process – How to import contacts in Outlook?
Copy the contacts from the Duplicates folder back into your main Contacts folder
Now the last step needs to merge the newly created folder contacts with the old contacts folder to complete the step. Open your new folder which was imported from the above steps.
- Open the ‘Merge Contact‘ folder, copy all the contacts using Ctrl+A to select all the folders and hit Ctrl + Shift + V, and select your previous folder.
- This step encountered you, & you will see a prompt with two choices.
- Add new contact
- Update information of selected contact
Choose any of the options:
- Update: Choose the Update option if these are duplicate contacts and you want to merge them.
- Add New Contact: Select this option in case the contacts are different.
- Update All: Choose it to quickly update all the duplicate contacts.
- Skip: Select this option for later review. It does not move any contacts.
- Select ‘Update information of selected contacts and click update all.
- The last step is to delete the ‘Merge Contact‘ folder.
Most of the time, the pain of every Outlook user is unbearable until the solution pops up, in this article, hopefully, a step-by-step process watch you through the solution.