Outlook rules manage your inflow and arrange the messages in a smart pattern, which takes a huge time to arrange manually. You can organize them into those needing attention immediately, In this article, you will learn “How to set up email rules in the Office 365 web portal”.
The user using Office Outlook 365 web portal is really smart, they really want to manage and arrange their email messages in a proper way.
Here is the step by step guide to initial Outlook 365 rules:
Server Side Rules vs Client-Side Rules (Outlook)
Creating a rule in outlook either a server-based rule or client-side rule, there is slight difference in their outcome.
- Server Side Rules – These rules run whether or not you log in to Outlook on your computer. Server-based rules must apply to messages when they are first delivered to your Inbox, and the rules must be able to run until they are completed on the server.
For instance:- If you applied a rule of printing your specific email received from a specific email address, If a rule can’t be applied on the server, It is treated as client-side rules, it will be executed when you connect outlook online.
- Client-side rules – client-only rules run only on your computer, based on inputs created by the user, Clint based rules run only in case when outlook in running online. These rules holds the second position after all the rules execution of server-based rules.
For instance:- If you create rules to get a notification banner in your system when you receive a message from a specific email address, that action or condition must be executed only in outlook application, which makes it a client-only rule.
Click here for more information about Server-side vs. Client-side Rules
How To Create Rule in Outlook Web [.com]
If you are reading it, you already have to subscribe paid version or using a free trial. Let’s begin to set up inbox rule:
- Open Outlook.live.com and log in
- Go to the inbox, Right-click the message title, scroll down and click “Create Rule”.
- You must have multiple rules applied to your inbox, they can be modified/edit, and deleted in the future if no longer applied. Activating and deactivating them without deleting your rule is another option available. Utilizing the options with the given rules criteria is a real game-changer.
- The first option is naming your rule, Enter your desired rule name on the top of the form.
- The second option is to add a condition, there are tons of options refer to the list on your right side screen.
- Next is to add action, it must be several ways you can execute the condition with. here are the examples:
- Use the exemption button, if you like something to bypass the rule, you can select that option.
- Finally, click save to execute.
Outlook rules are powerful and flexible. There are many combinations of every criterion or every type of work for Outlook users. Simply set up the criteria for the rule by setting up the condition and then using actions including forwarding, redirecting, and marking messages. Set exceptions or permitting some specific email to bypass the rule. Finally enjoy the magic of Outlook.
Few Examples of Rules in Outlook 365 Web
Below are some of the basic problems every Outlook user face (either using Outlook 365/web): Rule function walk you through that problem, even you are standing in a dark room.
- Tons of marketing email, newsletter subscription, sale emails, and many more related to it hit your inbox daily, How rules work for you, instead of deleting or get rid of it, you can easily shift those emails into the misc folder, which later on filtered or entertain accordingly.
- You can color categories your incoming emails, set the color from specific email addresses, and also shift the emails in a folder.
Outlook 365 web is quite simple as compared to Outlook application. Using outlook without rules
- Why Do My Deleted Emails Keep Coming Back In Outlook?
- How To Use Outlook Quick Steps? [Create, Edit & Delete]
- How To Change Time Zone Settings in Outlook?
- What is the difference between appointment and meeting in Outlook?
- Why Am I Getting Duplicate Sent Emails in Outlook?
- How to Select multiple emails in Outlook?
- Why are my emails going to outbox and not sending?
- How To Send Multiple Emails to One Person in Outlook?
- How to Combine Outlook Calendars? [3 Ways to Explore] 2020
- How to Send Multiple Emails in Outlook Without Recipients Showing? [Bcc]
- How to Increase Font Size in Microsoft Outlook?
- How To Turn On Email Delivery/Read Receipts In Outlook? [Step by Step Guide]
- How To Create Sticky Notes In Outlook?