Recently I was unable to receive an email message into my Outlook inbox, after a detailed investigation, my inbox limit crossed, and the reason is spam email, which I did not interested in.
Unwanted emails bring emails notification which is another problematic issue in the middle of important tasks like (presentations). Tons of unwanted emails cause due to unnecessary subscriptions or share your email address with people or websites.
In this article, you will learn step by step tutorial on “How to block email addresses in Outlook“.
Block an Email Address in Outlook
Once you subscribe to unnecessary websites, or somehow you don’t need anymore, the “Unsubscribe” feature just isn’t enough to delete spam. Here you can block or restrict unwanted email/s in your inbox.
There are a couple of ways you can execute the process; Let’s get started with the direct option which immediately blocks the email sender.
- Lunch Outlook 2013, 2017, 2019, 365
- Select the email which causing trouble for you.
- Click Home Tab from the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Junk from the delete section >> Block Sender
- Clicking on Block sender required final confirmation from Outlook, and hitting an OK button on the message popup completes the process.
Or you can simply click the right mouse button after selecting a specific email and click junk >> Block Sender
In both the options the result is the same, this strategy doesn’t work for multiple senders.
Create Block List
Outlook is smart programming, it provides the user to create a block list, with the name or email address or the entire domain.
- Click Home Tab >> Select ‘Junk’ >> ‘Junk E-mail Options’.
- Junk Email options pop up appears >> Select Blocked Sender Tab
- Click Add
- In the “Enter an e-mail address or Internet domain name to be added to the list” box, enter the name or address that you want to add. You can enter according to the below pattern:
Finally, Click Ok it’s immediately moved to the Junk Email folder, in case of multiple email addresses for different domains, repeat the process and you can observe the list of the blocked email addresses.
Create Block List Using Import from File
In the above example, you can add multiple email addresses or domains to block them from your inbox, but frankly speaking, entering email addresses individually is read time-consuming process, Outlook import from file feature allows the user to directly import all your cooperate addresses into block list instantly with a single click.
Here is the step-by-step process:
In the Junk Email options pop up, click to import from file >> select the text file having the list of the email address and domain you like to block, (outlook allows an only text file to upload).
Once you select the text file and click open, all your addresses are automatically added to the list of the blocked sender. Click Ok to complete. Need to add any other email address go to the blocked sender list and repeat the process to add more, you can also edit or remove any address or domain according to your requirement.
Block email addresses from different countries/regions in Outlook
You may find unwanted email messages come from other countries/regions too. Outlook allows you to block certain email messages from those areas.
Although the above process can also help to block those emails, Outlook blocks messages from email addresses that end in a particular top-level domain or country/region code.
- Click Home Tab >> Click Junk from the delete section >> then click Junk E-mail Options
- Select the International tab >> click Blocked Top-Level Domain List
The Blocked Top-Level Domains List lets you block messages that come from email addresses end with a specific country code AF (Afghanistan), IN (India), or AU (Australia), there are numerous countries, which you can block by simply selecting the checkbox.
Block an Email Address in Outlook Web
Outlook.com (web) based platform blocks messages from specific email addresses or domains from reaching your inbox. Outlook sweep feature removing (deleting) or moving unwanted emails from a specific sender’s email.
Here is the step-by-step process to block the specific domain in OWA.
- Open Outlook.com
- Go to the settings gear icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Click view all outlook setting
- Select Mail >> Junk Mail
- In the Blocked senders and domains section, select Add. Then enter the domain you want to block.
- You can enter according to the below pattern.
- Click Save and close the window
Most of the time, this process works for me and resists unwanted emails hitting my inbox, it also saves your storage capacity, and you can enjoy the service smoothly.
How to unblock email in Outlook?
I personally wonder why I am not receiving emails from a specific domain, first I checked the storage capacity, its available, I figured out, some of the domains I blocked, but sometimes I really need to receive those emails, in case I need emails from that specific domain or sender, here is the step:
Outlook unblocks the sender by reversing the above blocking process.
There are two methods
- Remove the domain added to the blocked list.
- Or add the specific email address in the safe sender list of that blocked domain.
Follow the steps:
- Click Home Tab >> Select “Junk” >> “Junk E-mail Options”.
- In the Junk Email Options dialog box, select the Safe Senders tab:
- Click Add, to add a new sender to the Safe Senders list and enter the email address or domain.
Click Ok, this process is quite simple, from now onwards email message received from specific email address doesn’t resist by Outlook.