Migrate Outlook to the new computer. Outlook is a specially-created email client by Microsoft, that allows you to easily manage email, contacts, and calendar events.
It is quite an advanced email client and comes with more than 20 years of development. As a business email client, it offers all the standard tools found in such applications as Gmail and Outlook.com.
For instance, the organizational tools available in Outlook allow you to categorize your messages into folders, label messages and use the search function. And the security features allow you to secure your emails with passwords and account details.
Not only this but planning to format your computer or laptop is also required to move outlook to the new computer.
This is the common habit every user must learn “How to transfer emails from Outlook to another computer?”.
This article provides instructions on how to migrate Outlook 2010, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, or Outlook 2019 on a new computer.
The article explains the step-by-step process to migrate Outlook to New Computer (OST, PST). The entire procedure is divided into different sections to make it easier for users to accomplish the task without losing any of the mailbox items. Towards the end, it also mentions the solution to transfer the OST files from one computer to another.
Before you can transfer your Outlook mails/data, you must aware of your data location available in your old workstation. Outlook keeps all of its data in one file, with a .pst extension. It’s probably Outlook.pst. But the question is where is it?
In Microsoft Outlook it is very simple to find out the location of the Outlook ost file & the location of the Outlook .pst file.
All you have to do is ~
Click the File tab >> Info >> Account Settings >> Account Settings again.
Once there, You will get a popup of the account setting click the Data Files button. You’ll find the information you need in the resulting dialog box.
How to Import and Export Outlook Data
Basically transferring outlook to a new computer means exporting all your data including email, contacts, and other Microsoft Outlook data from your existing computer, and importing all related data to another computer is very simple to understand.
Here is a step by step guide:
Exporting all your data create [.ost/ .pst] file from Outlook Email], you can easily transport the files through mail or any hard drive to your new computer where you import all kinds of emails.
Complete guide on How do I save Multiple Outlook Emails to Hard Drive?
From the above guide [which covers how to export emails from outlook], you will get all your data in your pen drive, now the question is:
How to Import Old Emails from Outlook?
Import .pst files in outlook are as similar as exporting the files if you have reinstalled your outlook in your existing computer or you have formatted your hard drive of the existing computer or you have on the final stage of transferring outlook emails.
Insert your pen drive in the USB port of the system which contains [.ost/ .pst] file from the Outlook Email account.
Follow these simple steps to migrating Outlook pst/ost data:
- Step 1 – Click File Tab >> Open & Export >> Import/Export
- Step 2 – The same Dialog box (Import and Export Wizard) opens up
- Step 3 – The third step is to import your file – select Import from another program or file, then Microsoft Outlook Data File (.pst).
- Step 4 – Click Next
- Wizard’s next page asks you to upload the file you saved to your current computer [in my case I save in a pen drive].
- Select Outlook data file (.pst) & Click Next.
- Click Browse and select the file you required to import.
When you click Finish, the wizard will go away, and the import will start. Moving an Outlook PST file from one computer to another is as simple as that.
Why should you move PST Files from One Computer to Another?
As we discussed earlier when you need to restore or change your computer due to various reasons like hardware failure, unexpected data loss, etc.
In a particular scenario, It is required to move your Outlook data files from existing computers to a new location or a computer to keep your valuable data safe.
How to move Outlook files to another computer
As you have learned above, just copy the .pst files from the existing location of your computer system, there is another way to import them to your new computer or existing computer after format/reboot.
Here is another way you can grab the files from your current system:
This method is slightly complicated but solves the problem many of you asking “How to copy .pst files in outlook?”
Most of the necessary files are kept hidden in the folder in the Windows system, You have to find out and copy those files and import them to your system.
Here is the step by step guide:
- Step 1 – First Open any File explorer window and Click View
- Step 2 – Check the box next to File name extensions & Hidden Items. (Mentioned in the red box in the image).
That will allow you to fetch all the hidden data in the folder.
- Before starting this process it is mandatory to completely close Outlook, to get fully updated.
- Navigate to USER / %YOURUSERNAME% \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Outlook.
- Step 3 – You can see several files in .pst as well as .ost format, all you have to do is to copy the file that has a .pst extension.
From the Next Step, you will learn how to import the copied files into outlook.
- Step 4 – Open Outlook and navigate to File >> Rules and Alerts
- Step 5 – From their rules & alert dialog box appeared, click options >> export rules.
- You can upload the files which were already on your external storage device. this is one of the best ways to transfer outlook files to a new computer.
Once in a while you are required to transfer your Microsoft Outlook data from your old computer to a new computer there must be several reasons, Outlook data can be saved in both OST and PST files.