Last Updated on February 4, 2024 by Amit Bansal
Many users are unfamiliar with the term “Cache,” as it often falls outside their realm of concern.
The common reaction when encountering performance issues with Outlook is simply to exclaim, “Oh my goodness, why is my Outlook running so slowly?”
This lack of awareness about the cache and its impact on the application’s speed is quite widespread.
In this article, you will learn the step-by-step process of “how to clear outlook cache“, which Is essential, and what the effects of ignoring and removing it.
What is Cache?
Collection of temporary files/data, every electronic application, computer, or Laptop file creates a temporary file, which helps to easily retrieve data which in turn helps devices run faster. Those temporary files are also termed Cache.
What does clear cache mean & what it does?
Clearing cache removes all temporary files in a specific computer application, saved cache files help you speed up your operations, using Outlook auto-complete, it is essential to clear the cache when you notice a slowdown in the performance of the app, because at a certain level cache cause issue for smooth working.
How to clear Outlook Cache? [Step by Step process]
Removing the Microsoft Outlook cache makes your application result quite efficient and also runs smoothly.
By clearing the data in the cache, you’re likely to improve Outlook’s performance, there is no doubt I remove cache in other applications which results instantly.
Here are a few steps tutorial~
Outlook Cache is like files that are already holding a folder in your computer system, you can navigate to the folder where they’re located and get rid of all of them at once.
- Close Outlook in case it’s Open to processing clearing cache from the computer.
- Press the Windows + R
- Run Dialog Box pops up, Type “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook” and Hit OK.
- This step opens up the Outlook folder, which consists of few files and folders >> Double-click the RoamCache folder (outlook cache location) to view the cache files.
- The Folder consists of [DAT Files], Select all the files using the (Ctrl + A) key, then press the Delete key, or right-click the highlighted files and select Delete, and all your temporary cache files removed from your Outlook.
How to Remove Auto-Complete Cache
Outlook autofill feature saves email addresses once you enter into “To”, “CC” & “BCC”, this feature is a time saver and easy to use, the only issue with auto-complete is Cache, which later on slows down your system.
Disable Autocomplete features are the best option, then, to clear the auto-complete cache. Disabling and removing the autocomplete cache is a simple step process:
- Lunch Microsoft Outlook >> Click on the File tab from the left-hand corner of the screen.
- Click Options from the left sidebar of the screen.
- Hit the Mail tab from the left-hand navigation section and scroll down to the Send Messages section.
- Uncheck the Empty Auto-Complete List and also click the Empty Auto-Complete List button to get rid of everything all at once.
- Click on Yes as final confirmation to clear Outlook auto-complete cache from your computer.
Clear Outlook Attachment Cache (Complete Guide)
Outlook emailing consists of tons of attachments, which are used to commute regularly, opening attachments generates multiple caches/temporary files in Outlook, and these types of cache files are generated regularly.
You can easily clear all attachment caches of Microsoft Outlook.
Follow the steps:
- Press the Win + R keys from your Keyboard >> Run dialog box pops up >> Enter “Regedit” in the box
- Click the OK button.
- A registry editor window opens, which consists of multiple folders.
- Click HKEY_CURRENT_USER >> Software >> Microsoft >> Office >> 16.0 >> Outlook >> Security, the complete address turn to be: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Security
You can also simply copy and paste the address into the address bar to get the results.
- Open the Security folder >> Double-click on OutlookSecureTempFolder to open it.
- Edit String dialog box appears, copy the path in the Value data box using Ctrl + C, and then click the OK button.
- Next, paste the value data you copied in the above step into any folder address bar of your computer and Hit Enter, you will get the results of temporary/ Cache files.
- Select all your temporary files using Ctrl + A keys and delete using the delete key or delete option from the mouse right button.
- Close all your opened files and folders and restart Microsoft Outlook with Cache-free support.
Both the above methods, help you get rid of unnecessary cache files that trouble you and slow down the work.
Some of my friends ask me “What if you don’t clear the cache in Outlook”, there is no harm in keeping all the cache files but in the long run, those files exhaust system speed as well as space.
Although keeping all the cache files in your external hard drive before deleting them is another professional manner in case things go wrong.