Working on huge data required some basic tools to filter or classify data in the group, and the result must be fruitful.
Microsoft Outlook conditional formatting is one of the intelligent tools which identifies your requirement and handles the email message accordingly.
Conditional formatting in Outlook allows you to highlight certain emails—called conditional formatting—in your inboxes.
This allows you to alert yourself of important emails, review them at a later time, or set certain criteria to trigger formatting.
For example, you can set your formatting to highlight emails that come from specific people or departments or highlight emails with certain words in the subject.
In this article, you will learn auto highlight emails in outlook based on the specific requirement.
What is the primary benefit of conditional formatting in Outlook?
Conditional formatting is an internal algorithm based on certain rules, which helps the user to get better results. You can also apply rules resulting based on their properties (like the sender, subject line, or timestamp).
The Conditional Formatting feature manages all your Emails, Calendar items, Contacts, and Tasks and arranges them according to color coding without the need to apply a Color Category to them or move them to different folders.
How To Automatically Highlight Emails in Outlook? [based on period]
In case you want to highlight emails based on a specific date range, conditional formatting comes into play, here you can follow the step-by-step process to understand the key formula to highlight email messages according to their age.
- Shoot Outlook and switch to the “View” tab
- Click Change view >> “Manage views”
- Manage all view dialog box pops up >> Click New button >> this will take you to Create a New View dialog box.
- Name your new view text box in the Create a New View dialog box, >> Select All Mail and Post folders (IMAP), and hit OK.
- Advanced View Settings dialog box appears with that same name, Now presses the conditional formatting button to create the conditional format.
- A conditional formatting dialog box appears, there are few by default rules available, in the current scenario, Hit Add.
- Name your Rule – “Mail Smartly“, click the font button, and a font dialog box displayed, you can adjust (fonts, fonts style, size, effects, color, script) according to your choice, your selection adjustments will separate email messages.
- The next step is to click condition, the most major step for auto highlight emails in outlook, clicking on the condition “FILTER” dialog box pops up.
Outlook Conditional Formatting Advanced Filter
There are multiple options in the filter dialog box [messages, more choice, and advance]. In this case, follow these steps:
- Hit Advanced tab >> Click Field button >> Select Frequently used fields from the drop-down list.
- Under the ‘Frequently used field‘, you can find multiple options every option opens a gate of strategy, in our case, you must select ‘received’.
- The next step is to select the condition, you again have multiple options of time criteria under the condition drop-down list.
The choices are much greater than you might expect:
- In the last 7 days
- In the next 7 days
- Last Week
- This Week
- Next Week
- Last Month
- This Month
- Next Month
- On or before
- On or after
- Does not exist
- Select ‘between’ and type manually in the value section “4 months ago and 6 months ago“.
[Note: You can select a condition and enter the value comment manually according to your search criteria.]
- Finally, click the Add to List button. Your criteria were added to the above list. Click OK.
Everything is set, follow the step to look at your result:
- Click View Tab >> Change View >> you can find another view option that you have created earlier in the article >> Click to that.
- You can check scrolling down the change of color of your email message based on their age [which you have specified in the filter option above]. The result is impressive. Now the outcome varies, the emails that enter that barrier automatically change the color, and the email step out of that barrier changes itself to the original view.
How To Change Color of Receiving Email in Outlook? [From Specific Email Address/Person]
Searching Emails received from a specific email address or person in Outlook is not rocket science, the search bar can handle it. All you must know is the exact method to find the emails.
Outlook conditional formatting based on email domain not only grabs those emails but also changes the format or color as per your choice.
How to Create a Conditional formatting rule?
Walk me through the step-by-step tutorial:
- Lunch Outlook >> Click View Tab >> View Setting.
- Click Conditional formatting for imposing specific conditions (changing the color of an email received from certain email addresses or persons) and format the inbox.
- Click Add and enter the name of your formatting rule. Name your rule & Hit font, change the font, style, effects, and color according to your choice.
- Click Condition, Type the address or part of the address in the From field on the Messages tab. For instance: we are required to highlight all messages from instamojo.com.
- Hit Ok and close the dialog box, and the expected results are incredible, colored email messages from the desired server name in your inbox are clearly visible. [Refer: Snapshot]
How to Delete Conditional Formatting Rule?
If you no longer required a specific conditional formatting rule function, you could easily delete the rule, and everything works as normal. In the Conditional Formatting window, select the rule you want to delete and click the Delete button. [refer:image]
In conclusion, Conditional formatting helps you to highlight important emails in your Outlook inbox. With the proper formatting, you can prioritize emails more easily. And conditional formatting also helps to ensure that you receive important emails.
Conditional Formatting in Microsoft Outlook is another excellent feature like “Rule”, which delivers more than expected to their user. I always recommend trying this feature and enjoying the full strength of Microsoft Office Outlook 365.
There are tons of conditional formatting rules in outlook which really work for you.